Thursday 6 September 2007

Disappointed, yet relieved

Apparently I'm supposed to have an offer from the team in NY, however, due to US immigration issues I will not be able to join the team until Oct 2008. And the fact that the team needs someone asap means I have not got an offer. Yes you can imagine that I am very disappointed given the fact that I've worked hard and have got very good reviews, but at the same time I'm relieved that I've finally been informed of a final decision. Could I just blame it on luck?

Anyway, this means I'm very much more inclined to head back home, for a fresh start in getting my career plans sorted. I've never worked in my home country, and I'm clueless as to what kind of quantitative roles there are. I have an interview at home lined up so we'll see how that goes.

Like a friend said, it could be a blessing in disguise, saving me from all the long-working hours and sleep deprivation. I'm not bothered too much really, for once I'm actually looking forward to going home. Another friend told me it'd be a waste to give up on my dreams and walk away, but I've had a taste of what it's like and I enjoyed every bit of the experience. Being a quant doesn't mean working for an IB or a large hedge fund or asset manager only, anyone could ramp up some job descriptions and label it as quant analyst/developer.

I'm more or less set on going home in 2 weeks, and I'll update on what prospects there are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for sometime.Just out of curiosity? are you from India?
-AnonFrIndia

quant-obsession said...

AnonFrIndia: Nope, I'm from the Far East.

Matt M. said...

Good luck in your search. Interesting blog too. -Matt M